Login     Sign up
Why version 5 already?
John D (@johnd)
Community posts: 132
View Profile
Send Message

Hey,

Im just wondering why jcow is at version 5 already when it hasn't been out for long?

Just as 1 example, vBulletin is just at version 4 and has been running a lot longer.

I havent seen any major changes in the core system between the versions..so why the new version instead of just an update with the changes?

161 months ago
Vincent T (@vincent)
Community posts: 298
View Profile
Send Message

"4-5" is OK. Maybe "1-2-3" is too fast.
app menu,dashboard,and widgets are not minor changes.

161 months ago
Thakim (@thakim83)
Community posts: 87
View Profile
Send Message

I have been a big fan of jcow simply because it is very easy to write your own modules but one thing that scares me out of my skull is the thought that I have been forced not to even want to upgrade for the sole reason I am totally afraid of rewriting the script again.

What I mean is with the number of bugs that come with every version baring in mind that I will have to lose all the changes I have made to the script I would rather stay without upgrading.

I do not mean to sound disrespectful to anyone but the truth must be said. I truly think that instead of coming up with a different version now and then, they should revisit their script and fix all the bugs and have one clean version that do not need any more fixes and maybe from there they can move forward knowing that everything is ok.

In regards to the price of the versions, I dont want to talk about that coz its their script and they can sell it for whatever price they want but I strongly feel it would be a value for the buyers if they bought a script that would not need any fixes.

161 months ago
Vincent T (@vincent)
View Profile
Send Message

I understand your feeling.
If you have made many customizations to the core, I'd recommend you to stay with version 4. We will also release an update of Jcow 4 very soon.

When you find bugs, send them to supporter via email, they will be get fixed faster (generally within 48hrs)

161 months ago
Vincent T (@vincent)
View Profile
Send Message

BTW: your apps developed for Jcow4, can still work on Jcow5.

161 months ago
Eliz zeta (@eliz)
Community posts: 153
View Profile
Send Message

i will stay with my version 4 for the moment in the most important project i have, cos i made "too much" modifications of code.
But i dont know if it s possible to have a "log of changes" from old version to the new one, for devolopers, just with code added, deleted, or modified.
This will help us to aplicate changes directly.
what we do now is install new version, and re-introduce changes and costumizations, so it will be fine to do it a nother way: Keep all job done, and introduce just changes of the new version.

161 months ago
AL (@switch48)
Community posts: 450
View Profile
Send Message

So you are going to release a updated Version 4 after you have released Version 5 ???

Wow that seem a bit backwards mate ,You guys are just creating a mess .With all the bugs in v4 and now v5 its getting a bit chaotic around here .

Why didnt you guys just fix V4 first instead of leaving it to a few jcow users to do most of the work, for free I might add ..What are you guys up to pushing a new version of something that is has way to many things wrong with it is not at all professional in any way...

160 months ago
Mark S. (@markiemark67)
Community posts: 136
View Profile
Send Message

I agree and disagree guys. Yes Support needs to fix a few of the older bugs. Like age+1, and Events time bug, and a few others. But Jcow v5 is much faster and seems more stable then v4 and So many bugs have been fixed. Good Job Jcow, but Lets fix some of the older bugs. :) Luv v5

160 months ago
Michael (@cofelice)
Community posts: 52
View Profile
Send Message

I have to agree with switch and I do not personally like version 5. I love 4.4 with the curve theme. I would of love to seen a version 4.5 with all the fixes that users have found along with a couple new features. the biggest flaw in my opinion in not having the activity page load up after sign in and the adding of them annoying dragable java boxes.

There is one thing that I have noticed about Jcow. They don't really seem to care what you think and they are going to do whatever they want. I think many users are afraid to say anything negative because their account will get deleted. In fact, I might not be able to post anything else after this...so nice talking with you all :) For the most part I do like the script and I was happy with my purchase.

160 months ago
Mark S. (@markiemark67)
Community posts: 136
View Profile
Send Message

Don't get me wrong. I hate some of the features. But at the same time I have to look at what they have done. JCOW might need some tweaking but its still the best social script I have tried. Maybe JCOW does need to pay more attention to the users. But at the same time they have done a great job!

160 months ago
John D (@johnd)
Community posts: 132
View Profile
Send Message

Sorry about bringing up an old topic but I seen this trying to find another post I made.

First, I found this through google because the search doesnt work too well on jcow, maybe thats something that could be improved :)

I'm using version 4 because going to version 5 is going to be a mission for the amount of changes I made - Ive been using vBulletin for a lot of years so I'm used to upgrading and the template changes remaining recently.
Jcow is still working as vBulletin did in the early versions when you upgraded you had to redo all changes.

It would be great is jcow changed to the same system as vBulletin, which is the norm for most scripts now.
You can simply upgrade the script and all changes made dont have to be re-done/coded again.

I havent really looked at jcow 5 much because I dont see the point when I will lose all the work I have already done on my site...people put a lot of work into a site and having to redo everything can take a long time and very frustrating just doing over what you have already done.

I havent kept a change log of what I did on my site which means a lot of what I have changed will be lost if I update..I didn't think I would need to do it when I started using the script.

I really hope this is something that can be changed for an update, I think doing this would warrant a new version number ;)

159 months ago